Click here for "Get to know your Synagogue" Trivia
Adath Israel Congregation was
founded in 1847, as the Polish Synagogue in Cincinnati. It was the
oldest traditional synagogue in Cincinnati, and one of the oldest
Conservative congregations in the entire nation.
Our first location was Lodge Alley, between Fifth and Sixth
Streets. In 1860 it was located at the corner of Seventh and Walnut,
the Hibben Building, where it remained for twenty-eight years.
During the 1880's, the decade, which marked the mass migration
of Polish and other eastern European Jews to the United States, the
synagogue grew larger and more active. Adath Israel acquired its own
building in 1896 at Ninth and Cutter Streets. The Women's Auxiliary,
the Sisterhood, was organized in 1880.
When the Jewish population of the old west end moved up to
Avondale, Adath Israel followed suit -- acquiring its own building
at 658-62 Rockdale Avenue in 1917. In that next year, Rabbi Louis
Feinberg became Rabbi of Adath Israel. He modernized and
re-invigorated the life and program of the Synagogue in religious,
education and cultural matters.
To meet the demands of its ever-increasing membership, Adath
Israel opened its magnificent Synagogue building on Lexington and
Reading Roads in 1927
In 1928, Adath Israel made an important contribution to the
Jewish community by the establishment of the Leshner Library of
Jewish books. Religious Services were enriched by the presence of
Cantor Emil Rosen. The Synagogue membership was constantly growing,
programs were multiplying and Rabbi Fishel J. Goldfeder was invited
to become associate Rabbi with Rabbi Feinberg in 1945.
Upon Rabbi Feinbergs's death in 1949, Rabbi Goldfeder became
the Rabbi. Under his dynamic influence, the Congregation enlarged
its membership, its scope of activities, and many new projects were
initiated -- including a total reorganization of the Hebrew School.
With the shift of the Jewish population northward, the
congregation moved from Avondale to Amberley in 1967. The Isaac N.
Jarson Education Center was build adjacent to the Synagogue and
opened in 1972
In 1982, upon the retirement of Rabbi Goldfeder, Rabbi Sidney
Zimmelman arrived at Adath Israel as the new head Rabbi.
After an extensive search, in 1991, Rabbi Irvin M. Wise arrived
at Adath Israel as the new Rabbi. Under Rabbi Wise's leadership, the
congregation has become fully egalitarian.
Our formal Avondale location