Sign In Forgot Password

Groundbreaking ceremony for Amberley location on April 25, 1965.

OUR STORY

Adath Israel Congregation was founded in 1847, as the Polish Synagogue in Cincinnati. It was the oldest traditional synagogue in Cincinnati, and one of the oldest Conservative congregations in the entire nation. 

Our first location was Lodge Alley, between Fifth and Sixth Streets. In 1860, Adath Israel moved to the corner of Seventh and Walnut, the Hibben Building, where it remained for twenty-eight years. 

During the 1880's, the decade which marked the mass migration of Polish and other eastern European Jews to the United States, the congregation grew larger and more active. Adath Israel acquired its own building in 1896 at Ninth and Cutter Street. The Women's Auxiliary, the Sisterhood, was organized in 1880. 

When the Jewish population of the old west end moved up to Avondale, Adath Israel followed suit -- acquiring its own building at 658-62 Rockdale Avenue in 1917. In that next year, Rabbi Louis Feinberg became Rabbi of Adath Israel. He modernized and re-invigorated the life and program of the congregation in religious, education, all and cultural matters.     

To meet the demands of its ever-increasing membership, Adath Israel opened its magnificent Synagogue building on Lexington and Reading Roads in 1927.      

In 1928, Adath Israel made an important contribution to the Jewish community by the establishment of the Leshner Library of Jewish books. Religious Services were enriched by the presence of Cantor Emil Rosen. The Synagogue membership was constantly growing, programs were multiplying and Rabbi Fishel J. Goldfeder was invited to become Associate Rabbi with Rabbi Feinberg in 1945.     

Upon Rabbi Feinbergs's death in 1949, Rabbi Goldfeder became the Rabbi. Under his dynamic influence, the congregation enlarged its membership, its scope of activities, and many new projects were initiated -- including a total reorganization of the religious school.      

With the shift of the Jewish population northward, the congregation moved from Avondale to Amberley Village in 1967. The Isaac N. Jarson Education Center was built adjacent to the Synagogue and opened in 1972.      

In 1982, upon the retirement of Rabbi Goldfeder, Rabbi Sidney Zimmelman arrived at Adath Israel as the new head Rabbi.   

After an extensive search, in 1991, Rabbi Irvin M. Wise arrived at Adath Israel as the new Rabbi. Under Rabbi Wise's leadership, the congregation became fully egalitarian.

In 2019, Rabbi Smokin was hired as Senior Rabbi of Adath Israel and in September Rabbi Wise officially retired from the position and became Rabbi Emeritus. 

Mon, February 6 2023 15 Shevat 5783